Sunday, August 23, 2009

Telephone manners

Dear Good Manners Devotees':

I have to share a proud moment with you.

After many months -- oh, let's be honest, after many years -- of coaching them on what to say (and what not to say) and what to do (and what not do do) when they answer the phone, one of the Good Manners Daughters answered a call. The call was for me and she came to find me on the back porch.

The first thing the caller said was "Wow, your daughter has impeccable phone manners. I am so impressed. I can't get my daughter to answer the phone like that."

Wow. I almost dropped the phone in my surprise. Oh, Good Manners Devotees', I confess her words gave me such a thrill! Who would have thought that simple phrases such as "May I ask who is calling?" and "She's busy at the moment, may she call you back?" or "Just a moment, please" would have been so hard for the Good Manners Daughters to remember, or taken so much time to finally stick! (And how could I forget the classic bringing the phone to me in the bathroom or -gasp- saying I'm in the bathroom.)

But, on this random, unexpected night, it finally happened. (It may never be repeated, but at least I know that it can be done!)

So if you are struggling with your child's phone manners, take some hope from my post -- it can and will happen. I can't say when, but it will!

I'll be in touch soon with some more good or bad manners observations. In fact, I think last post I promised you airport disembarkment -- so airport disembarkment it will probably be!

Until then,

Leslie

P.S. Disembarkment isn't coming up in spell check -- it's a word, isn't it? It wants to replace it with disembowel, of all things! Yuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment